When building a website for a client, it is super important to optimise key words and to create tantalising copy that converts and engages audiences. However, one thing that never fails to surprise a client is that the number of likes is non-consequential.
1. Likes don’t necessarily equal conversions or sales! Around 10% of people who like something will follow it up. The best thing you can do is to have a presence. Be there. Tell people what you do, so that if they ever need your help they know where to find you.
2. Focus on quality. Change your mindset and focus on the quality of the content that you put out there. Publish content that is genuine and useful. Maybe you’ll realise that helping one person or influencing one person to change their perspective is enough to keep you going!
3. Do it for your passion. A business isn’t built on likes, but rather it’s built on sharing something that you love. Many times people have told me that their passion hasn’t made them enough money to give up their day job! I say, does it really matter? Are monetary gains your only motivation? If you stop doing something because you’re not making money from it (at first), I would question whether you have chosen the right subject or area of interest in the first place. When you go beyond monetary gains, you continue until it ignites a spark within you. That, my friends is when the real learning begins. The results will flow naturally after that.
4. You are worthy regardless of likes. Seeking validation from others through likes and comparing yourself to other brands and companies can be a slippery slope. Think about why you are doing this and how it makes you feel. When the number of likes decline, remind yourself that you are unique and amazing. Lack of positive interaction on social media shouldn’t have the power to change that. Mental health is important. Healthy interactions form a huge part of self-worth. Repeat after me I Am Worthy! If this doesn’t work, maybe a digital detox is the key to bring this message home.
5. Keep going! One great piece of advice I received was to continue no matter what. Stats will naturally go up and down. Constantly checking them won’t do a thing to change them. They are what they are. Yes, it’s great to know people are reacting to your message and interacting with you but if one day, they decide to stop, how will that affect you? If you wake up tomorrow and the internet is gone, please tell me that you’d find another way- that you’d carry on regardless. Because the value you give to your followers translates into the real world. Don’t ever forget that!
The key to social media conversions today is to prompt meaningful conversations. People can see right through superficial marketing strategies. The real way to make a difference is to genuinely care about your client. Be yourself. Show you care. And keep going. Right that’s it from me.
Freelance writer, author and teacher
P.S Are you fed up of churning out valuable info day after day that doesn’t convert to sales?
Writing new content and thinking up new strategies is time consuming. It’s frustrating to see all your hard work go by the wayside.
Need engaging copy that converts?
Contact me for a no-risk consultation today. Let's talk!